Sunday, December 12, 2010

Biten by Beastmen

After reading some forum junk, the consensus that Beastmen is a low 3rd tier army has got me stumped. I know arnie and I's favorite memory filled games have been Beastmen vs. Empire. All the games were decided turn 6 and then it still came down to victory points which lead to draws. After some thought I have decided to try my hand at the stout Beastmen. I dont know if I can except them being portrayed as a crappy army. I believe besides a slim few that you can screw up any army if played correctly or if the army design is not there. Are some armies better than others? Yes. GW clearly does not care about balance shown through the different army books and lack of updates for some races. cough cough Tomb Kings.

Taking from what we have learned from past games I am developing a new list. I am going to try out a unit of Bestigors and also incorporate a Great Bray Shaman lvl 4 with Beast magic. Beast magic has a lot of synergy with the army. Besides reducing 1 to the casting cost for being beasts, the lore seems to buff and also help with ranged damage. Those two abilities seem that it should help the heavily close combat oriented Beastmen. Minotaurs are awesome. Minotaurs is part of the reason Fantasy is Fantasy. From Mythology to Movies they have been a highlight into the genre of Fantasy. Not fielding a unit of them would be a disgrace in my opinion.

I am not sure how this list will hold up against HE's surgical close combat units, but what the heck this game is to played for fun! Remember wargaming community that this is a game and entertainment, so winning every game is not my or arnie's top priority. We enjoy have a great time rolling dice, relaxing, and having those epic moments on a table top setting. Warhammer is a nice escape from reality and having the ability to play again is a much need relief of the daily stresses we all encounter through life. Ok enough sappy stuff, but just wanted to administer a dose of reality into the fantasy realm. Hopefully by Tuesday I will have the list completed and posted before we play on Wednesday. If you have any suggestions or experience with Beastmen we are all ears, just leave in the comment box.

1 comment: