Saturday, January 1, 2011

High Elves

After a few crazy weeks, I am back with a little more high Elf info. I now have 2 High Elf list that i like to run. Getting away from my dragon based army, I wanted to see what a shooting based army would do. Well, with the new rules i have to rethink using Sea Guard and spearmen so much.

Being able to attack in 2 ranks with the archers makes it less of a big deal that the Sea Guard has spears. The big difference now comes with the difference in armor save and range of bows. I am finding it to be a better idea to ditch spearmen all together and go with archers and the Guard. Most of the time my spearmen get butchered Point for Point. In that case I might as well just sit back with archers and shoot them. If i want a unit that can move forward, just take the Sea Guard.

The Pheonix Guard has become my second favorite unit in the high elf army. I just love having a unit of 30 of them sit there FOREVER. K talked me into a good size unit of them, and I think he regrets it everytime he faces them. They are under priced. To get a 4+ Ward save cost around 45 Points. I can make a Noble with a 4+ Ward and a 5+ armor save for 134 Points. That's a whole 2 wounds worth. Or for 1 more point i can get 6 Pheonix Guards with Full Command. Really makes me wonder why people go Charracter crazy.

With the shooting and magic army, i have now begun to use some cav to off set the lack of movement and to try and keep things out of charge range. Running a Lord with a Great weapon, Lvl 1, and 2+ re-role-able alongside a unit of 11 Silver Helms with Full Command.

This is a big change from what I was doing with the Dragon army, but it is growing on me!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting setup on the 30-man PG unit. I've thought of running something similar but end up opting for the more offensive Swordmasters or White Lions.

    I'm curious as to how the rest of your list comes together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I regret it(lol), but that what good friends are for. To help make each other better, its as simple as that. I do enjoy the mighty challenge of how to kill/destroy/or break the PG unit. I believe they are a top 5 rank and file unit in the game.

    ReplyDelete